A short history of New Pitsligo
Between the Aberdeenshire towns of Peterhead and Banff in rural North East
Scotland is the village of New Pitsligo.
On the eastern slopes of Turlundie Hill
with views of the Buchan coast and surrounded by peat bogs and well
worked fertile agricultural land, New Pitsligo is a small village with an interesting history.
Since ancient times the lands of Pitsligo were the property of the Lords of
Pitsligo until in the 18th century they chose to back the wrong side in the
Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 and lost their properties and lands.
Part of the estate eventually became the property of Sir William Forbes of
Monymusk a man who had made his fortune in banking in Edinburgh
Sir William founded New Pitsligo around the existing Hamlet of Cyaak, a
name which locals use to refer to the village to this very day. Residents of
New Pitsligo are referred to as "Cyaakers
Sir William offered settlers quarter
acre plots in the village at minimal rents, and spent large amounts of his
own money developing the mile long High Street. Along with the cheap rents
, granite was available in abundance from local quarries, and peat for fuel
was plentiful from the surrounding peat bogs.
Later on Low Street and School Street were built and the centrally located
Denburn was planted with trees making a beautiful wooded area to enjoy an afternoon stroll.
At one time over 2000 people lived in New Pitsligo and it had two schools and
four churches giving the village the reputation of being the largest village in Scotland.